Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Rachel was set a-part as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints on Sunday, May 22, 2016.  She was called to serve in the Utah Logan Mission for 18 months.  She was due to arrive at the Provo Mission Training Center June 1, 2016.

We had a farewell dinner with her dad and older brother before she left Omaha, NE.

The next day we headed out to Rexburg, Idaho  with her youngest sister and myself.  We went to visit her two older 2 sisters, whom she hadn't seen for 18 months because she just graduated from Oregon Coast Culinary Institute.  She spent 12 in Oregon going to school, and 6 months in Houston Texas, fulfilling a 6 month internship at the Woodlands Country Golf Club... the Jack Nichols Signature golf course, I might add.  

We stayed in Rexburg for a week. Her oldest sister is having a baby in August - we were able to attend her baby shower.  She is and will be a cute momma.  Rachel was so glad to be able to see her sisters before entering the MTC... we did a bit of catching up, playing games and was also able to complete all my packing.

I have been Rachel's companion the whole time I lived with her in Texas, and it only seemed fitting to continue with this responsibly now that she was officially set a-part as a missionary... we teased each other a lot, saying we will be so glad to be rid of each other... but only to make it easier to say goodbye in the end... I have really enjoyed hanging out with her these last 10 months.  I will never have that chance again.

On the way to Salt Lakes City, Ut... we drove through Logan - Cache Valley, UT.  This is where Sister Broyles will be serving her mission.  It is so pretty.  Sister Broyles felt the city of Logan was not so overwhelming, as it is not as vast as the City of Salt Lake.  She felt that this will be a wonderful place to serve.  as we travelled around, we kept hearing wonderful things about the location, the people and the church.  she was super excited.

We stopped at some of the temple along the way.  We stayed in Salt lake for 2 days and finally entered the MTC on the first of June... Sister Broyles was sooooo excited.. We didn't have time for tears.. with all the host missionaries waiting for our arrival, there was such a spirit of enthusiasm and excitement,  she just wanted to go in and start this journey.

Today, Wednesday, June 8, 2016, was the first time Sister Broyles was in touch with family.
She didn't send too much information, just short and sweet for now.

She said that her companion is not used to being away from home... so she is writing a book to her family about her experience thus far... "but me"?   she said, "Well, I keep it simple, though I miss home and such, I am happy to be where I am at and know I will see everyone soon enough".

We did chat for a bit here are some of the emails she sent me..

rachel.broyles@myldsmail.net

-Loving it!

-I love the MTC - it's like college but a missionary college.

-I love the Sisters and Elders I am with, we are a nice family.

-Out of the 11 of us, 7 of us are going to Logan.



Thank you for your support.






No comments:

Post a Comment